Snowsport Industries Great Britain
Responsive Website Design & Development
SIGB – SNOWSPORT INDUSTRIES of GREAT BRITAIN
The trade association for the skiing and snowboarding industries in the U.K. aiming to support and promote U.K. snowsports.
The SIGB website was originally launched in 2013. Fast forward 6 years, the team at SIGB identified the need for a website re-design to align with new brand guidelines and business objectives.
The website, although still relevant to the intended audience needed a restructure in terms of Content Stragegy, Information Architecture and User Flows to remain a useful source of information to the businesses that made up membership, as well as snowsports enthusiasts.
A fresh design approach was required to maintain & increase user engagement and in in turn membership applications.
- Responsive website design optimised for mobile & desktop
- Modern clean and intuitive design incorporating new brand guidelines
- Improved information architecture & user flows
- Usable Googlemaps business finder – Retailer finder (B to C) & Distributor/Agent/Manufacturer finder (B to B)
- Functional Forms to increase SIGB membership applications
The first meeting with stakeholders revealed that fundamentally we were looking at a total overhaul of the SIGB website (User site & CMS).
Key requirements included:
- Incorporate new SIGB branding
- Make the website more visual and modernise the look and feel.
- Increase SIGB membership enquiries
- Make industry news more of a feature
- Improve the business finder usability
UNDERSTANDING THE USER
The SIGB’s audience has traditionally been people who work in or drive the snowsports industry such as, retailers, distribution companies, brands and holiday providers.
Being closely connected to the wintersports since the age of 16, I was able to connect and interview a handful of people in the industry as well as wintersports consumers.
I wanted to understand what users thought of the existing website and gather qualitative information about aesthetics, findability and overall experience.
WHAT USERS WANT
User testing and interviews revealed commonalities from which the following conclusions were drawn:
- Want/need to find up to date winter sports news
- Want/need to be featured on business finder pages
- A friendly method of finding SIGB members/businesses
- BIGGEST PAIN POINT… Membership application process should be digitised (Current PDF process is painful at best)
3 personas that represent the SIGB’s users, their needs and pain points.
I developed the first version of a proposed sitemap based on a content audit of the original website.
Improved IA based on feedback after presenting version 1 to stakeholders.
A MODULAR APPROACH TO EACH PROBLEM
Breaking down each of the user pain points allowed me to concentrate simplifying user flows. In turn this also allowed for business KPI’s to be met.
POST ITS & SKETCHES
After getting the second version of the sitemap signed off by stakeholders, I was able to combine it with the content audit to push ahead with some initial brainstorming.
OVER TO SKETCH…
By combining the signed off sitemap, sketches and an idea of content I was able to craft mid-fi wireframes in Sketch.
DIGITISING THE MEMBERSHIP FORM
User Testing the membership application process of the original site showed that this needed to change and to be brought out of pre-historic days. The initial solution was a no brainer and was to digitise the process so that the application could be done via the website.